|Tel. number||+34 979 188 142 / +34 629 181 536|
|Address||Plaza Mayor S/N, 34349 San Nicolás del Real Camino (Palencia)|
Located in a typical farmhouse of Tierra de Campos, built of adobe and mud with wooden roof, materials used in traditional constructions of this region. The house was restored trying to respect its traditional architecture and to provide the services required for Pilgrims, giving a cozy and familiar atmosphere.
It has 20 beds distributed in rooms for 4 and 6 people, a spacious bathroom, garden, terrace, lounges and bar-restaurant that offers breakfast, sandwiches and Menu del Peregrino, with totally homemade traditional cuisine.
Since 2009 we have the distinction of Albergue Superior de los Caminos de Santiago.
The first knowledge of the existence of St. Nicholas date from the late twelfth century, the village probably existed well before, but the only data currently available place us exactly in 1195 when a document attests that a leper hospital existed in our town.
This hospital was founded by D. Tello Pérez de Meneses, very influential at the time, who entrusted the Augustinian monks of St. Mary of Trianos wit its control.
The hospital took care of 13 lepers and pilgrims of Camino de Santiago, was a priory of Trianos monastery, but became so important as the monastery, as it owned much land in the county and several mills in the area, had charters of King Alfonso VI and its economy was sustained by donations and properties of very influential people in the society of Castilla at that time.
Currently there is no building in town to remember the existence of this hospital, although it is said that a column that is in the village cemetery could be a vestige of the building.
There was also a Templar church unfortunately disappeared, the current one dates from the XIIIth century and you can admire in it a nice Baroque altarpiece.
Documents justifying this story are found in the National Library, section Clergy, folders 1737-1739.